How to Choose a Wedding Cake
The wedding cake may or may not be something close to your heart when you plan your wedding. Either way, the cake is often the main focus of the wedding reception and so choosing the right wedding cake for you is important.
With this daunting prospect in mind, let us make your wedding cake planning a little easier. Firstly it should be known that there are more factors involved than just taste and colour so the decision is not as easy as it looks.
Before you do anything ask yourself the following questions:
- How much are you prepared to spend on your wedding cake?
- How many guests are you likely to have?
Knowing these facts and figures allows you to put into perspective the type of wedding cake you can realistically have.
Factors to Consider when Choosing Your Wedding Cake
- - In terms of appearance try to find some pictures in magazines, books and websites of cakes that you like.
- - Try to realise the purpose of your wedding cake. Are you getting a wedding cake to simply decorate your reception venue (in which case you probably want a beautiful looking cake)? Is it to provide some extra grub for your guests (in which case itís important to get a yummy cake)? Will you be feeding the 5,000 (guests)? If so, the size of the cake is vital.
- - Would you like the cake at your wedding to match the colour scheme? If so you should consider the colour of the icing and the colour of the cake decorations.
- - Wedding Cake Flavour. Traditionally, the cakeís filling is fruit. If however you are a chocoholic you may well consider a chocolate filling. There are plenty of other fantastic flavours available these days too, from sponge to cream cheese!
- - Wedding Cake Decorations Ė Today there are hundreds of combinations of cake decorations available. From ribbons to flowers, from wedding cake toppers to candles.
Allergies. Remember to find out whether any of your guests have food allergies such as gluten intolerance or nut allergies. To avoid this problem ask the wedding cake supplier to make a gluten or nut free tier of the cake.